"I certainly never write a review about a book I don't think worth reviewing, a flat-out bad book, unless it's an enormously fashionable bad book." --
says, John Gardner in Conversations with John Gardner
Quoted from 'Dictionary of Library and Information Science Quotations'     Edited by Mohamed Taher & L S Ramaiah. ISBN: 8185689423 (New Delhi , Aditya, 1994) p.150. Available @ Amazon.com

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Federated Search - Reading now




The term federated search is also known as, meta-search, cross-search, combined-search, and aggregated-search. First, it is about simultaneously searching, with one-click, in several electronic sources. Second, it is about getting all the search results displayed in a single browser. And the book I am reading is Federated Search by Christopher N. Cox

I recommend the book for a basic understanding on the emerging theme of federated search strategies, especially about American academic libraries’ experiences in this sphere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mohamed,

You and your readers may be interested to know that I've published a number of reader reviews of articles from Cox's book at the Federated Search Blog: http://federatedsearchblog.com/category/cox-essay-review/

I'm also curious to know if you've run into any other books of particular interest to the federated search community.

M Taher said...

Thanks for the lead Sol.
I am aware of your chapterwise analytical reviews of this book. And, I am learning a lot from your site, and from this book by Cox.

Wonder, if there are Canadian studies on this theme?
Best wishes, MT